Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Emmy 2011 - Dream vs Reality


Before the Emmy nominations were announced, I gave my thoughts on what I would have liked to have been nominated in my wonderful dream world.  Now the nominations have been announced and I've had time to think them over.  Let's see how shattered my dreams were this year and I'll give a few thoughts on the real nominations.

All in all, not bad by Emmy standards.  Some head-scratchers, some lazy repeats, but also some surprise wonderful nominations.

Lead Actor - Comedy
Reality
Matt LeBlanc - Episodes
Jim Parsons - The Big Bang Theory
Johnny Galecki - The Big Bang Theory
Louis C.K. - Louie
Alec Baldwin - 30 Rock
Steve Carrell - The Office

Dream
Alec Baldwin - 30 Rock
Louis C.K. - Louie
Steve Carrell - The Office
Zachary Levi - Chuck
Rob Lowe - Parks and Recreation
Joel McHale - Community

3 of 6, not bad.  I expected Jim Parsons, and from the few episodes I've seen he deserves it.  On the other hand, Leonard has always seemed like the least interesting character on that show.  No knock on Galecki, but I don't think the work he does for that character deserves Emmy consideration.  Never seen anything of Episodes, but I read that Matt LeBlanc was the only tolerable part of that show, and the Emmys love past stars.  I still would have rather seen Joel McHale or Rob Lowe, Levi never had a chance, though.


Lead Actor - Drama
Reality
Steve Buscemi - Boardwalk Empire
Michael C. Hall - Dexter
Kyle Chandler - Friday Night Lights
Jon Hamm - Mad Men
Hugh Laurie - House
Timothy Olyphant - Justified

Dream
Sean Bean – Game of Thrones
Steve Buscemi – Boardwalk Empire
Kyle Chandler – Friday Night Lights
Jon Hamm – Mad Men
Donald Logue – Terriers
Timothy Olyphant – Justified

4 of 6, my best showing.  Not much I can say against these choices.  I gave up on Dexter, but Michael C. Hall was what kept me interested when I was still hanging on.  Same goes for House, super formulaic show, but his character makes it worthwhile.  At least he did, until the show kept saying House was changing then almost immediately went back to his old ways.  Can't knock his performance, though, just the showrunners.


Lead Actress - Comedy
Reality
Laura Linney - The Big C
Edie Falco - Nurse Jackie
Amy Poehler - Parks and Recreation
Melissa McCarthy - Mike & Molly
Martha Plimpton - Raising Hope
Tina Fey - 30 Rock

Dream
Toni Collette – United States of Tara
Courtney Cox – Cougar Town
Tina Fey – 30 Rock
Mary-Louis Parker – Weeds
Amy Peohler – Parks and Recreation

2 of 6, meh.  Apparently academy members like different Showtime heroines than I.  Matt LeBlanc pulls a nom, but nothing for Courtney Cox, c'mon!  Cougar Town is great and Cox has a winning performance.  Amy Poehler made it again, though, so I can't really complain (too much) when the person I feel should win makes the cut (though she has a poor shot at winning).


Lead Actress - Drama
Reality
Elizabeth Moss - Mad Men
Connie Britton - Friday Night Lights
Mariska Hargitay - Law & Order: SVU
Mireille Enos - The Killing
Julianna Margulies - The Good Wife
Kathy Bates - Harry's Law

Dream
Connie Britton – Friday Night Lights
Lauren Graham – Parenthood
Lena Heady – Game of Thrones
Melissa Leo – Treme
Elisabeth Moss – Mad Men
Anna Torv – Fringe

2 of 6 again, not great with leading actresses.  My top two made it.  The Killing became very bad, but Enos' performance was good.  The other shows I don't watch, but I've heard bad things about Harry's Law.  That could be a case of Emmy voters love Oscar winners.  Didn't seem to help Melissa Leo any, though.  That could be a case of Emmy voters hate David Simon.


Supporting Actor - Comedy
Reality
Jon Cryer - Two and a Half Men
Chris Colfer - Glee
Jesse Tyler Ferguson - Modern Family
Ed O'Neill - Modern Family
Eric Stonestreet - Modern Family
Ty Burrell - Modern Family

Dream
Charlie Day – It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Donald Glover – Community
Neil Patrick Harris – How I Met Your Mother
Nick Offerman - Parks and Recreation
Chris Pratt - Parks and Recreation
Danny Pudi – Community

0 of 6, yeesh.  This category is a travishamockery!  Every male adult from Modern Family, really?!  The only one I would consider would be Ty Burrell, Phil always cracks me up.  The rest are good and it's a good show, but there are so many other better performances out there, and Modern Family had kind of a down turn this year.  Anyone who has seen any of Parks and Recreation knows that Nick Offerman deserves to win this, but not even nominated.  Also, Jon Cryer?  How does this guy keep getting nominated?  I don't watch Glee, but at least I know Chris Colfer is good, so they got one right.


Supporting Actor - Drama
Reality
John Slattery - Mad Men
Andre Braugher - Men of a Certain Age
Walton Goggins - Justified
Peter Dinklage - Game of Thrones
Josh Charles - The Good Wife
Alan Cumming - The Good Wife

Dream
Peter Dinklage – Game of Thrones
Walton Goggins – Justified
Taylor Kitsch – Friday Night Lights
John Noble - Fringe
Michael Pitt – Boardwalk Empire
Michael Raymond-James – Terriers

2 of 6, okay.  Walton Goggins should have been nominated numerous times for The Shield, but the nom here is also sorely deserved.  I can't complain about the ones I didn't choose, by all accounts they're doing good work.  John Slattery particularly cracked me up this past season with his memoirs plotline.


Supporting Actress - Comedy
Reality
Jane Lynch - Glee
Betty White - Hot in Cleveland
Julie Bowen - Modern Family
Kristen Wigg - Saturday Night Live
Jane Krakowski - 30 Rock
Sofia Vergara - Modern Family

Dream
Alison Brie – Community
Busy Phillips – Cougar Town
Aubrey Plaza – Parks and Recreation
Amy Ryan – The Office
Yvonne Strahovski – Chuck
Sofia Vergara – Modern Family

1 of 6, better than 0.  I get the feeling the academy and I have very different tastes in comedy.  Jane Lynch was a lock.  I like Betty White, but that show is just bad.  Kristen Wigg used to be great until the writers starting using her and only her from the female cast of SNL and she started going over the top in everything.  Krokowski's Jenna is usually the weak link of 30 Rock episodes.  Julie Bowen is good, but it's another case of Modern Family oversaturation.


Supporting Actress - Drama
Reality
Kelly Macdonald - Boardwalk Empire
Christina Hendricks - Mad Men
Michelle Forbes - The Killing
Archie Panjabi - The Good Wife
Margo Martindale - Justified
Christine Baranski - The Good Wife

Dream
Khandi Alexander – Treme
Emilia Clarke – Game of Thrones
Kelly Macdonald – Boardwalk Empire
Margo Martindale – Justified
Sandra Oh – Grey’s Anatomy
Kiernan Shipka – Mad Men

2 of 6, seems to be my mean number of correct.  Margo Martindale was nominated, nothing else really matters. Best performance of the year, should easily win, but this being the Emmys, her getting nominated was a surprise.  I also have zero problems with Christine Hendricks, I almost chose her for my dream noms but went with Keirnan Shipka instead.  More Good Wife  people, don't watch but I hear good things.  And another case of a good performance on The Killing from Michelle Forbes despite the plot going way off kilter.


Comedy Series
Reality
Glee
Parks and Recreation
The Office
Modern Family
30 Rock
The Big Bang Theory

Dream
Chuck
Community
Cougar Town
Louie
Parks and Recreation
United States of Tara

1 of 6, and I don't care. Parks and Recreation was nominated!  I may have only gotten that one right, but getting it right was still a surprise.  It probably has a snowball's chance in hell of winning, but it actually got a nomination.  It may be the best comedy on TV, but Emmys usually go for the more entrenched or super popular.  If it actually wins I may faint from utter shock.


Drama Series
Reality
Boardwalk Empire
The Good Wife
Mad Men
Friday Night Lights
Dexter
Game of Thrones

Dream
Boardwalk Empire
Friday Night Lights
Game of Thrones
Justified
Mad Men
Terriers

4 of 6, good show for the ending.  Another surprise, but well deserved, nod for Friday Night Lights!  They had an excellent final season.  Also a surprise from Game of Thrones.  Fantasy has a tough time breaking into the Emmys, but HBO holds a lot of sway.  Mad Men will probably four-peat, though, and deservedly so.  Season 4 was perhaps their best.


No comments: