Thursday, December 6, 2012

NBC Thursday Comedies - Week 10


A wedding!  An affair uncovered!  Heated rivalries!  Honestly, I really have nothing to say up here this week.  On to the reviews!

30 Rock - "Mazel Tov, Dummies!"
Liz Lemon is married!  What a well done episode.  There was some good meta commentary running throughout the episode.  Liz didn't want to buy into the specialness of getting married, but eventually found a way to make it her own.  The show didn't make a "Very Special Episode" out of the main character getting married, but managed to make it special in its own way.  Liz using her Princess Leia costume as her wedding dress was amazingly perfect.  The return of Dennis is always welcomed, and now with a wife and kid (Black Dennis!), to make things even funnier.  In other stories, we also got the return of Dr. Spaceman.  Tracy's realization that he could die at any moment was a fun bit of slapstick with the cab.  Jack as Harriet Tubman (in the year 18) was also a great touch.  I love John Hodgman and his amazing mustache, but it was the weakest of the three plots.  Jenna realizing she's not as important as she thinks she is a well they've gone to a few times before.  It was a nice touch to add Jack's realization into the mix this time, though.

The Office - "The Target"
I guess my main problems with this show stem from Andy, because not having him around has definitely made the show better.  There weren't any particular stories that had me belly laughing, but overall it was a nicely put together half hour.  The funniest was the slapstick of Phyllis and Stanley getting drunk at the restaurant, moving forward the plot of Jim going to Philly.  The most well executed was the story of Angela finding out about Oscar and the Senator.  I'd never thought I 'd say this, but Dwight was the cool level-headed one of that situation, and it worked out great.  I loved Dwight putting the pieces together and creeping in the stairwell, and I'm really happy they didn't gloss over the fact that Angela had had an affair with Dwight.  I'd never seen the actor before, but Dwight's hitman friend was funny, I liked him.  The comment card tower story was a nice little diversion, with a happy conclusion of Pam learning it's okay to fail.  I hope they can keep this streak up until the end, but I doubt it.

Parks and Recreation - "Pawnee Commons"
They're moving forward on making an actual park out of the pit.  I'm glad their going back to the thing that brought these people together at the very beginning of the show.  Not an outstanding episode this week, but strong.  My main problem was Leslie, which is unusual.  It seems that going back to the pit story, they've also brought back the Leslie that wasn't properly calibrated at the start of the show.  I like the rivalry with Eagleton, but Leslie was too over the top this episode.  The whipped cream attack was where things went too far.  On the other half of the episode we have everyone coming together to help Tom with his new business venture.  The idea that Tom has to find the correct calibration of his personality to make the business successful is a great idea.  Tom's been doing some growing since the spectacular failure of Entertainment720, but his confidence is something that is good in business, when it's not taken too far.  Chris trying to learn woodworking from Ron was wonderful caveat to that story.  Finally, FBI Agent Burt Maclin has finally retired.  I'm going to miss that guy.  Andy seeing the rewards of police work outside of catching bad guys is a good step for him.  Okay, I'm liking this episode more the more I think about it, just that whipped cream attack was a problem.

No comments: