Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Legend of Korra - 1x07 - The Aftermath


After the attack on the stadium, the hunt for Amon has gone full force.  Lin Bei Fong and her Metalbending Police are doing their best to make up for the being blindsided at the arena.  Meanwhile, Korra thinks a friend may really be a foe.

Probably my least favorite of the shows so far.  Not because it was a bad episode, I still enjoyed it, just less than all the previous ones.  I think my main gripe would be things are resolved too quickly.  Hiroshi Sato has been a great help to the Fire Ferrets all along, but now Korra has some suspicions about him.  By the episode's end, he's full on bad guy in league with Amon.  I've liked the tighter pace of this series so far, but I think this is a case of moving too fast.  I would rather that Hiroshi was proven innocent, but Korra still harbored doubts.  Doubts that were shown to be true somewhere down the line.

My other problem with the episode was the robots.  So far, the CG has been done very well with my only complaint being the out of place CG shot of the probending arena.  Satomobiles and airships have been integrated well, but those robots just didn't seem to fit.  I think a lot of it came down to the hand drawn Hiroshi being inside the CG robot, it just seemed off.  It was cool to see Tenzin in a fight finally, and I did enjoy that final fight, but the robots were just strange.  I fear we're going to see much more of them, but hopefully they'll look better in the future.

This isn't just a gripefest, though, I did enjoy the episode.  There was a little bit more of the relationship stuff with Korra just doing her duty, but Mako thinking it has to do with jealousy.  I really enjoyed the brothers taking down the policeman watching them.  You can tell it's move they've used hundreds of times.  Then Bolin got his nice little quip by repeating the policeman's words to him.  Bolin in general cracks me up, his love of having a man servant was hilarious.  The coolest thing of the episode was definitely Lin closing her eyes and removing her shoe to use her mother's 'seeing' technique, when the lines appeared on the screen I literally said, "that's awesome!"  I also like the idea of Lin going rogue, but I think I would like it more if she was working with the rest of our heroes, too, instead of on her own.  That's mostly because I think the best thing to come out of this episode is that the new Gang (one 'a' because there's no Aang) is all in one place now and has their mission.  And even though I knew what was going to happen as soon as Asami took the glove, it was still a nice moment from a character that hasn't had much personality yet outside of loving Mako.

Lastly, I doubt that was the actual Cabbage Merchert because he'd be really old, so I'm assuming his son took over the business.  In any case, that poor family can not catch a break, Avatars are constantly messing things up for them.  At least this time, the Avatar set things straight and showed that he was framed.


No comments: