Thursday, October 25, 2012

NBC Thursday Comedies - Week 5


Whew, finally caught up.  A normal week this time, too.  Just three shows and three reviews.

30 Rock - "Stride of Pride"
Not only did Jenna have a good plot this week, she even got to give real advice to Jack at the end of the episode.  Well done, 30 Rock.  Ryan Lochte, however, not so great.  I give him credit for being willing to play up his image as a "sex idiot," but lets just say I don't see any SNL hosting gigs in his future.  Liz trying to convince Tracey that women can be funny was well crafted, and I'm actually surprised that it's something that hasn't been done on the show before.  The best part was Jack's "Great Escaping" and finding out that one of his escapees was doing it to him (though to her it was "Pokemoning").  Jack having Cerei teach him how to work group emails was fun, and I liked the collection of male stereotype Pokemon he assembled.  No reference to tanking NBC this week, but I'm sure it'll come back.  30 Rock makes me laugh a lot, what more can I ask?

The Office - "Work Bus"
Another week, another stinker.  I'm really hating Andy's hatred of Nellie.  I know he used to have anger issues, but this just feels too much for what is suppose to be a likable guy.  Even with the nice tag on the end of that story, I still hated it.  The rest of it was better, but almost anything could be.  Jim trying to do something nice for Pam after keeping the new job from her was a good continuation of that plot, but the execution felt off.  Jim and Dwight got to have a real conversation up on the roof, so that was nice.  The only part of the episode I really liked was Kevin being amazing at math when pies are involved.

Parks and Recreation - "Sex Education"
I just want to say upfront that Andy's reaction to finding out all the old people were actually having sex was pure gold.  I had to pause to collect myself, and then rewind to watch it a few more times.  It's moment like that that get me all riled up about all the Modern Family guys taking all the Supporting Actor spots at the Emmys.  None of them are this funny.  Okay, rant over.  This week in Leslie learns more about the government, we have horribly outdated and bad laws that the community supports.  Linking abstinence only education with the elderly was a great way to keep an issue like that humorous.  Being able to bring Perd into the mix is always a good thing, too.  The rest of the plots in the episode were pretty mediocre.  The idea of Tom without technology sounds hilarious, but the humor didn't last much longer than him reading his tweets out loud in court.  After that, it mostly just whining.  I'm beginning to think Ben and April being removed from Pawnee is starting outlive itself.  It was a good plot, but they need to be able to interact with more than just each other, hopefully this congressmen with pop up some more to add some spice.

No comments: