Thursday, February 23, 2012

NBC Thursday Comedies - Week 16


Great news this week, Community is returning!  NBC released that Community will return on March 15th at 8.  The only downside is that it kicks Parks and Recreation of the schedule for five weeks.  So 30 Rock will move to 8:30, The Office stays where it is at 9, and Parks and Rec will return at 9:30 on April 19th, when Up All Night finishes its run.  Everyone got all that?  Scheduling is fun!

30 Rock - "The Tuxedo Begins"
Good episode. This might have been more fitting closer to the release date of The Dark Knight Rises, but great all the same.  Jack may be the hero of the story, but Liz devolving into the joker was very well played.  Liz is nominally the straight woman in the wacky world of 30 Rock, but it's great when she sometimes flies off the handle, too.  Her embracing anarchy to get what she wants when she's always complaining about how people aren't decent anymore was a great little arc.  I'm kind of sad that Jack won't actually be running for mayor, I think there is a lot of comedy that could be mined from that.  Probably not a good idea to double up on that story with Parks and Rec, though.  I'm always glad when Will Forte returns as Paul, but the whole normal-ing thing felt kind of flat.  I hope he's not gone too long on his sexual walkabout.

Parks and Recreation - "Dave Returns"
Louis C.K. returns!  It was good to have him back in all his awkward glory after his brief stint in season 2.  It also fit so perfectly with Ben's already established fear of cops.  Much like Liz, it's really fun to see straight man Ben get to act crazy every so often.  Everything that had to do with the Ben-Leslie-Dave triangle was wonderful.  Not so wonderful was everything having to do with Tom and Ann.  Last week I talked about how I think this could be good, this week I'm not as enthusiastic.  I was not thrilled, but okay with it this episode until the "you wore me down."  Made for a funny line for a Tom talking head, but not a good reason to keep two characters together.  The writers can still salvage this, though.  We know Tom can be a good guy, he was also good when he was dating Lucy, let's see more of that.  Everything else about the song plot I liked, especially Duke Silver and Chris singing.

The Office - "Tallahassee"
Too much cartoon Dwight this episode.  I buy that Dwight would wake everyone up super early in his enthusiasm.  That also led to one of Jim's best pranks in years, and maybe the cold open that made me last the most this year.  I don't buy Dwight knowing he has appendicitis and not going to the hospital, and then coming back right away.  He then gives a presentation he knows he'll bomb because he doesn't know anything about it, he's smarter than that.  I really enjoyed Florida Stanley and Jim wanting to live up to that.  Packer's return I could give or take, though I like Koechner, and Catherine Tate I'm not sure what to make of yet.  Everything back at the office was just fluff, but I feel like Andy would make a much better receptionist than manager.  Maybe they should have done that instead of having him promoted.

No comments: